Built-in Call Blocking Features on iPhone
Apple provides several built-in features on the iPhone to help users block spam calls. These features are easy to access and can help reduce the number of unwanted calls you receive. Here are some of the most useful built-in call blocking features on iPhone:
- Block a caller: You can block a caller by going to the Phone app, selecting the Recents tab, and tapping the “i” next to the number you want to block. Scroll down and tap “Block this Caller.” This will prevent the caller from contacting you via phone, FaceTime, or text message.
- Silence unknown callers: If you’re receiving a lot of spam calls from numbers that aren’t in your contacts, you can turn on the “Silence Unknown Callers” feature. This can be found in the Settings app under Phone > Silence Unknown Callers. When this feature is turned on, calls from unknown numbers will be silenced and sent to voicemail.
- Do Not Disturb: You can use the Do Not Disturb feature to block calls from everyone except your favorites list. This can be useful if you’re expecting an important call from someone not in your contacts, but don’t want to be bothered by spam calls. To enable Do Not Disturb, go to Settings > Do Not Disturb and turn it on. You can also schedule specific times for Do Not Disturb to be automatically enabled.
- Third-party integration: Apple also allows third-party apps to integrate with the Phone app to provide additional call blocking features. You can find these apps on the App Store and they may offer features such as call blocking based on a database of known spam numbers or blocking calls from specific area codes.
Third-Party Call Blocking Apps for iPhone
In addition to the built-in call blocking features on the iPhone, there are also several third-party call blocking apps available on the App Store. These apps offer more advanced features and may be more effective at blocking spam calls. Here are some of the most popular third-party call blocking apps for iPhone:
- RoboKiller: RoboKiller is a popular call blocking app that uses advanced algorithms to identify and block spam calls. It also includes a feature called “Answer Bots” that can answer and interact with spam calls to waste the caller’s time.
- Nomorobo: Nomorobo is another popular call blocking app that uses a database of known spam numbers to block calls. It also includes a feature called “Simultaneous Ring” that can forward calls from known spam numbers to a spam voicemail box.
- Truecaller: Truecaller is a call blocking app that uses a database of over 3 billion phone numbers to identify and block spam calls. It also includes a feature called “Caller ID” that can identify incoming calls from unknown numbers.
- Hiya: Hiya is a call blocking app that uses a database of known spam numbers to block calls. It also includes a feature called “Neighbor Scam Protection” that can identify and block calls from numbers that are similar to your own phone number.
- YouMail: YouMail is a call blocking app that includes a visual voicemail feature and can block calls from known spam numbers. It also includes a feature called “Smart Blocking” that can block calls based on the caller’s location or behavior.
When choosing a third-party call blocking app, it’s important to do your research and read reviews to ensure that the app is effective and trustworthy. It’s also worth noting that some call blocking apps may require a subscription fee.
Tips and Best Practices for Avoiding Spam Calls
While call blocking features and apps can help reduce the number of spam calls you receive, there are also several tips and best practices that you can follow to avoid spam calls altogether. Here are some of the most effective tips for avoiding spam calls on your iPhone:
- Don’t answer unknown numbers: If you don’t recognize the number calling you, don’t answer the call. If it’s a legitimate call, the caller will leave a voicemail and you can call them back.
- Be cautious with your phone number: Be careful about giving out your phone number online or on forms, especially if you’re not familiar with the website or organization. Some companies may sell your information to telemarketers.
- Don’t engage with spam callers: If you do answer a spam call, don’t engage with the caller. Don’t press any buttons or give out any personal information. Simply hang up and block the number.
- Use caller ID and spam call filters: Turn on the Caller ID feature on your iPhone to see the name and number of incoming calls. You can also turn on the “Silence Unknown Callers” feature to block calls from numbers not in your contacts.
- Register your number on the National Do Not Call Registry: You can register your phone number on the National Do Not Call Registry to reduce the number of telemarketing calls you receive. However, this may not prevent all spam calls.
By following these tips and best practices, you can reduce the number of spam calls you receive and protect your privacy.
Reporting and Fighting Against Spam Calls
In addition to using call blocking features and following best practices to avoid spam calls, you can also take action to fight against spam calls and help protect others from unwanted calls. Here are some ways you can report and fight against spam calls:
- Report spam calls to the FTC: You can report spam calls to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) by visiting their website or calling 1-888-382-1222. The FTC uses these reports to investigate and take legal action against spammers.
- Report spam calls to your carrier: Some carriers allow you to report spam calls directly from your iPhone. Check with your carrier to see if they offer this service.
- Use call blocking apps that report spam: Some call blocking apps, such as RoboKiller and Nomorobo, not only block spam calls but also report them to the FTC and other authorities.
- Sign petitions and support legislation: There are several petitions and campaigns aimed at stopping spam calls and protecting consumers. You can sign petitions and contact your representatives to support legislation that would make it easier to track and prosecute spammers.
- Share your experiences: Share your experiences with spam calls on social media and with friends and family. By raising awareness of the issue, you can help others protect themselves from spam calls.
By taking action to fight against spam calls, you can help reduce the number of unwanted calls and protect yourself and others from scams and fraud.
Spam calls can be a nuisance and a potential threat to your privacy and security. Fortunately, there are several ways to block spam calls on your iPhone, including built-in call blocking features and third-party call blocking apps. By following best practices and taking action to fight against spam calls, you can reduce the number of unwanted calls you receive and protect yourself and others from scams and fraud. Remember to always be cautious with your personal information and never engage with spam callers. With these tips and tools, you can enjoy a safer and more peaceful phone experience.